The Interactive Gambling Act 2001 establishes BetStop - the National Self-Exclusion Register™ and sets the rules and obligations for providers of licensed online or telephone wagering services in Australia.
The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) is responsible for monitoring compliance with the law.
The ACMA manages a register of all wagering providers in Australia licensed to provide internet and/or phone betting services. Wagering providers on this register must comply with their obligations.
To comply with the law, licensed wagering providers must:
- not open new accounts for self-excluded persons
- not provide wagering services to self-excluded persons
- not market to self-excluded persons
- close accounts of self-excluded persons
- not disclose information about self-excluded persons unless authorised
- promote the register.
The service allows licensed interactive wagering providers to check whether someone has self-excluded.
Please refer to the ACMA website for further information on compliance obligations.